Tuesday, March 10, 2009

never judge a book by its cover

So Lauren and I attended our first night of bible study. We had been looking the last couple of days for a church that had a women's bible study on one of the nights we were available...We had checked out the Calvary Chapel Beachside Church that is LITERALLY across from our house, but not only did it not have the right time or days that we were looking for it kind of had a weird feel to it. sorry, i know that's mean. So we started looking at some churches online...normally when I attend church I go to Rock harbor but their bible study didnt work on the right night either, and I remembered that I had been to Refuge Calvary Chapel a few times and it had a Tuesday night women's bible study so we decided to give it a try...

On first meeting, Lauren and I were a little skeptical, as they're were probably only a handful of girls our age, and the rest consisted of women in their 30's+. It consisted on worship, then a small sermon and then finally breaking up into small groups...the woman next to me asked the lady in charge..."How will I know what the right group is for me?" and the lady responded, "God will direct you into the right group." at this point im thinking...yeah, alright...my usual cynical self...ANYWAYS, as the sermon began I realized the woman speaking was probably one of the best speakers I had ever heard, at least for me, as she dissected EVERY PIECE of the scripture into a way i COMPLETELY understood it. Now normally, I tend to lose the speech at times and have to redirect myself back into it, but this time I don't think she ever lost my attention. THAT in it of itself was thrilling...We then broke into small groups and the girl next to Lauren and I said we should come in hers... Our leader of our group wore a bright pink top, with a weird huge flower broach in the middle...purple and black plaid socks and a hairdo that came out of the 70's...yet again, my cynical side is thinking..."oh great..." however, she was a STUN, and did an amazing job of going around the circle getting every ones opinions and feedback...not only was she good, but the entire group was so diverse and different that it was like you got SO many different sides of seeing things, which i discovered, i really needed in...

In closing Lauren and I both walked away with having learned so much. and with BOTH of my cynical, skeptical views, I was completely proved wrong...God HAD directed me into the PERFECT group, everyone was so extremely welcoming and helpful...and the woman who I worried about running it, was in turn, perfect...I learned tonight, along with many other things that I need to stop being so cynical and shut off before I even give people a chance...I think I deal with so many weirdo's in my profession that I forget that almost any type of christian person will have good in them and no matter what, at the end, be extremely welcoming and helpful... I am so excited about this class, and the Tuesdays that follow! Will keep everyone updated! <3

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jess I am sooo perky for you...There is nothing like KNOWING for a stone cold fact that God has directed your path somewhere....we pray and pray for that, and then are stunned somehow when it actually happens...haha Why is that do you suppose?? Anyway, I will pray that your heart and mind will be open to all God might have you learn from this time and group....see ya soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so weird to hear the follow up of a conversation on here rather than live... I'm really glad it worked out for you guys! So no one tried to kick you out? lol I also really liked that church. You might even try the Sunday morning.

    I'm very happy to hear the whole thing went the way it did...can't wait to talk.

    ReplyDelete